Lemon slices with poppy seed and coconut yogurt from Diana Warrings
February always feels a bit like a bridging month – the festive period is over and spring is still too far away. This lemon slice with poppy seed & coconut yogurt may help you make this month a little more cheerful and brighten up your afternoons in the run up to Spring. Made with natural sugars from dried apricots and maple syrup and using wheat free fibre rich flours as a base, it bursts with zesty citrus flavours from organic lemons and freshness from the poppy seed and coconut yogurt topping. Makes around 12 slices
3 unwaxed lemons – zested
120g dried apricots soaked in hot water until soft
4-6 tbsp. maple syrup
175g butter (soft)
4 free-range eggs
4 tbsp. of plant based milk
125g almond flour
100g spelt whole grain flour
2 tbsp. bicarbonate of soda
4 tbsp. of poppy seeds
250g coconut yogurt
Pinch of salt
1. Pre-heat the oven at 180C. Zest the lemons.
2. Drain the apricots, roughly chop and place in a blender. Add the 4 tbsp. maple syrup, the soft butter and blend until smooth. Next add the eggs and milk and blend again until well combined. Finally add 2-3 tbsp. of lemon zest, blitz once again and set aside..
3.Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the bicarbonate of soda, 2 tbsp. of poppy seeds, a pinch of salt and mix well.
4.Next add the egg-butter mix, ¾ of the remaining lemon zest and whisk until you get a smooth cake batter.
5. Line a baking tin with baking paper, pour in the batter, making sure it is well distributed and bake in the oven for 35-40 minutes.
6. In the meantime, mix the coconut yogurt with 1-2 tbsp. of maple syrup and 2 tbsp. of poppy seeds, stir well and set aside until serving.
7. Lift the baked cake out of the tin, place on a cooling rack and leave until completely cool before cutting it into slices. Serve topped with the poppy seed & coconut yogurt and lemon zest.
Diana Warrings is a Health & nutrition content producer, recipe developer & well-being cook.